Monday, January 07, 2008

Book Talk!

This is the first Book Talk! of 2008 where I'm at a computer with internet so I figured why not tell you the 4 books I received for Christmas and more.

For God, Country & Coca-Cola: The Definitive History of the Great American Soft Drink and the Company That Makes It by Mark Pendergrast. Forget your cola allegiences, promotional overload and all that muck, the company itself is an interesting institution and I'm looking to reading about it's history.

The Smithsonian Book of Books by Michael Olmert. I love books and this one details books from scrolls, through the craft of making a bound book, illustrations, the business of, and much more. I like the last line: "You are what you read. EXPLICIT."

I Never Knew That About England by Christoper Winn. "The term Thankful Village was first used by Arthur Mee in the 1930s and refers to those villages whose men and women all came home safely from the First World War. They were distinctive in having no war memorials, although some had monuments, usually in the curch, in gratitude for their good fortune. Among the thousands of vilalges in England, Arthur Mee reckoned there were, at most, 31 Thankful Villages, although he could only positively identify 24." The book is broken down into counties and is full of little gems like this one.

Olivia Helps With Christmas by Ian Falconer [the cutie snuck this one in thinking I'd been so busy I'd missed it's release - only I hadn't missed it - is he not the sweetest thing around!?!]

I'm sill working through Entombed by Linda Fairstein - will most like leave it on the next flight for someone else to enjoy. As for ebooks, I've started A Slave's Way Out by C.A. Salo from over at Whiskey Creek Press Torrid and am really enjoying it. This weekend I'm going to get to take with me on the next couple of trips, they are The Angelini: Mystic's Run by Jory Strong at Ellora's Cave and Dark Elves IV: Dissent by Jet Mykles at Loose Id. Both are the latest installments in series I've enjoyed reading.

Yup, I have varied tastes for my reading material - how about you? What books did you get for Christmas, are reading right now, or are going to get?

No comments: