Thursday, December 24, 2009

Smooches under the mistletoe!



Ever wonder about the tradition of kissing beneath the mistletoe?  I did and yet my mind got stuck on one little, tiny, bit of information:  "The appearance and nature of the fruit's content (viscin) is very similar to or suggestive of human semen and this has strengthened its pagan connections." Wikipedia

I didn't see this anywhere else, but like I said, it stuck in my head and makes me look at the ball of tradition a little differently.  I'm not so keen to stand beneath it, although this lost bit of the tradition brings a little bit of the fun back into seeing it hanging:  "The mistletoe is still hung up in farm-houses and kitchens at Christmas, and the young men have the privilege of kissing the girls under it, plucking each time a berry from the bush. When the berries are all plucked the privilege ceases."  Christmas Eve by Washington Irving found quoted on About:Landscaping  Kissing Under the Mistletoe by David Beaulieu

Let the fun times beneath the mistletoe commence.

No comments: