Thursday, December 17, 2009

Who is the big guy wearing red?


Seriously, who is that jolly old gent we welcome into our home, and accept gifts from him?

Well, the man called Santa Claus started out in the 4th Century as Saint Nicholas of Myra, a bishop known for giving gifts to the poor. This led me to thinking if this why many charities reach far and wide for help during the holidays. I certainly enjoy giving, to family and friends, and those who need it most.

One of my favorite things to do during the holiday season is pulling a name off a gifting tree set up in bookshops. Maybe it's because I like spending time in those places, but reading is something I think everyone, of all ages, should be excited to do. I usually pick out one of the older kids, more of a challenge to give them something they want, like, and touches that place that makes them want to read more.

If you're shy of money, then I have another suggestion: go visit your local senior center or home and spend some time with the folks there. Maybe take a book to read, everyone loves to hear "Twas the Night Before Christmas" by Clement C. Moore. You could make the same offer to your library, it's will put a smile on your face, and those listening as well.

No comments: