Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Best of Torrid Teasers Vol. 2 - Cheri Valmont's Excerpt #3


Cheri Valmont is in the Best of Torrid Teasers Vol. 2 with me and Susan M Sailors and this her third excerpt from her Torrid Teasers!


THE COMMANDER’S MATE (Science Fiction - #3 in Kazphyrian series)

Aimee Syncire wakes to find herself a prisoner of the Velornian Legion commander, JarrRon Ry Vere. Aimee’s determination and will to survive draws Jarr from the first. When circumstances force JarrRon to release Aimee, he must find a way to bring her back and convince her to accept him as his true, barbarian mate.



Excerpt

After she'd cried herself to exhaustion, Aimee lay like a limp cloth, staring up at the ceiling of the massive room. Would she be in trouble for coming into Velorn without permission? Rumors had it that if you snuck into the country, you would be imprisoned.

Surely they could make an exception, couldn't they? Upon hearing a door open, Aimee's burning gaze flew to the other side of the room. The first female who'd spoken to her was coming toward the bed, stopping to light the chandels on her way.

"How nice to see you awake again. Feeling better?" the female asked as she reached Aimee's bed.

Aimee nodded mutely, watching the female with guarded eyes. "How did I get here?" Aimee attempted, the sounds coming out in a gravelly croak.

"Here drink this," she insisted, holding the container she retrieved from the bedside table for Aimee to drink.

Without protesting, Aimee did as the female bid. And after feeling the soothing liquid warm her throat, was grateful she had.

"By the way, my name is Sareen and this is my brother's household. My mate, Drandol, and I are visiting."

Silently, Aimee took in the female's clothing. A vest, similar to the droten vest worn by Kantrerian females, graced the upper part of her body, with a small exception; her vest was made of hand made fabric, which was light and fluttered freely as she moved, giving peeking glimpses of her breasts. Her ankle-length skirt made from a fabric resembling the Kantrerian kathtans also fluttered freely around her legs, leaving her midriff bare, making her appear extremely feminine.

The female's words finally filtered into her still muddled mind. "Your brother?"

Sareen nodded. "Yes, my brother, JarrRon Ry Vere. He is Velorn's legion commander, second only to Velorn's governor, TarnRig Ossur. My mate is his second-in-command."

Aimee's heart fluttered in her chest as she realized she was in the household of a military commander. It could only mean one thing.

"Count yourself lucky someone found you. Hashmin said you were almost dead. Where are you from?"

"I'm from Kantrer. My mate, Sam and I, and our friends were staying at an excursion lodge in Sanforthe. We were on a picnic overlooking Velorn, when a large creature jumped into our midst and began kil. . ." Aimee's choked voice trailed off.

"Oh stars, I'm sorry," Sareen exclaimed and sat next to Aimee, grabbing her hand, as if trying to comfort her. "I don't understand. Hashmin said he found you in Velorn. I'll have to talk to my brother about this."

"Am I a prisoner?" Aimee whispered.

Sareen frowned. "I'm afraid so. We have strict rules governing the admittance of visitors. It is the only way we can keep outside influences from corrupting our life here. I know other countries think of us as barbarians, but our people are determined to keep our old ways and our land as it is."

"Isn't there anything I can say that would obtain my release?"

"I'm afraid it will be your word against a Velornian citizen's word. My brother will be hard to convince. My mate might be able to get you heard. There is one more thing I must warn you. . ."


Now available from Whiskey Creek Press Torrid

No comments: