Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Book and eBook Talk

The holiday season is in session!

After the kids are back in school the days gain momentum until we collapse on New Years day. Buried between all the festivities is actually plenty of time to read and I do, big time. However, there is something I've noticed about my reading choices during this time. Actually, missing all year round, but I specifically noticed the lack of a particular type of book/ebook during the holidays and am not sad.

Holiday-centric reads.

Yesterday I picked up my copy of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving and illustrated by Will Moses and thoroughly enjoyed it. Returning it to my shelves, I noticed a few other Halloween reads, and sat down to read them all again - it is why we keep them, isn't it?

Anyway, when the last one was put back I noticed I have twenty-five [25!] specific holiday reads on the children picture book shelves [the pop-ups are on a separate shelving unit downstairs and it houses close to ten more], and none on the shelves holding my fiction books [mystery, romance, etc]. Because I couldn't believe I had no holiday specific reads, I went to my ebook library, and found ... none. Zilch. The big goose egg!

Why is that?

Why do I obviously enjoy reading picture and pop-up books for such holidays as May Day, Valentine's Day and Easter, and yet not in fiction?

I'm not sure why, but I can honestly say this is the time of year I dedicate to clearing the TBR pile.  Could be I want to start the new year with a fresh slate.  Maybe, although I always find something or three to pick up.  Truthly, for me, a holiday specific read in novel length would be too much, and feel a little too sweet and written to suit a theme rather than the h/h.

What I'll do is enjoy my reads and leave the holiday stuff to those who like them.  Don't worry, I'll be fine, devouring my holiday inspired picture and pop-up books - those I'll keep enjoying, be they the holiday or not.

In case you're wondering, the pop-up above is the finale in Niroot Puttapipat "The Night Before Christmas" - love this one!

No comments: