Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A Bit of the Greene Holidays: Book Stuff

I write erotic romances and read them, so when I go into a bookstore - okay, any store that sells books - I check out the romance section to see if there's anything I want to read or to see which ones they have.

Knowing this about me, you won't be surprised I made time for a personal trip to Waterstones [the big chain bookstore in England], and thought I'd share what I found: not much for a large store!


One and a half columns - a bit of erotic fiction and classics shared the other half - of just a few authors.  Nora Roberts had the most space, she starts on the second from the bottom on the left through three shelves on the right.  Now, to give Waterstone's a little less grief on the romance selection, they do have a section for "Dark Romances" over by the Sci-fi/Fantasy section - it was pushed by Christmas around the corner to kick off the Teen Section - oops.  Oh, and they did have four or five ereaders at the front of the shop.

End result, if you like Elizabeth Chadwick, Georgette Heyer or Nora Roberts, you have copious choices, otherwise you're pretty much out of luck.

But wait, there's books in ASDA [I think they're now owned by Walmart], so here's their romance section.


Don't recognize any of the bottom shelf books?  But they're part from a huge publisher, visibly known around the world.  They're HarlequinMills & Boon!  Fab and seriously hot covers, hence they won't be at eye level, you'll have to look for them.

However, this doesn't mean I'm returning with no books, that just doesn't happen - despite the lack of options :-)

No comments: