Thursday, January 06, 2011

A Bit of the Greene Holidays: TV Stuff

Oz [Clarke] and Hugh [Dennis] are two guys we enjoyed last Christmas and so when we noticed they had a show on again this year, we made time to watch it.  The first series was 'Drink to Christmas' and this year it's 'Raise the Bar'.  The fun part of not knowing what going to happen is that we enjoyed it even more when they did the Otley Run pub crawl and visited some of our old university haunts in Leeds.  I'm not sure if you can watch the show here, but if you can, enjoy! 

Oh, and yes, Leeds was the city Ann and Tom visited in My Angel.

There's lots of Agatha Christie repeats, however, this time there was not only a new David Suchet as Hercule Poirot doing 'Death on the Orient Express'.  It was great, stayed true to the story - at least as far as I remember it.  'Suchet on the Orient Express' was also good, there were many interesting bits about the notorious train that were shared, and I would love to take that ride!  Two shows over a couple days, fantastic!  Now, because it came to mind, I thought I'd remind you all that Michael Hoeye's Hermux Tantamoq [a Hercule Poirot of the animal world] trilogy is wonderful, and both you and your young reader will enjoy.  Love those books!

A few others I caught were 'Upstairs, Downstairs' was a popular series from the 70's [I never saw any episodes when it did play on public tv in the US] and they've revamped it.  We also watched 'Countryfile Winter Special' in the Outer Hebrides and want to go up there for a visit!  Others we caught were Top Gear, Have I Got News For You, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and Rebus - yes, that would be Ian Rankin's Rebus!

And as for that most important show of all - the Queen's Speech - we missed it.  The kids were playing on the Xbox instead - oops - but it was on the importance of sport.  So go out and be sporting :-)

5 comments:

Kristabel Reed said...

I love British comedy, which I assume is what this is based on the fact that Hugh Dennis is involved. And I like wine :) I'll check out the link when I get home (to a computer with sound!)

Tilly Greene said...

It's hilarious! Hugh is a rather uptight comedian [kind of] and Oz is a lush - the two together are great fun to watch and you get to see a great deal about Britain and its booze :-)

They've been together for two holiday specials [4+ shows] and I can't wait to see what they get up to next year!

Hope you can watch it.

Jane said...

I love British TV shows, especially their crime dramas. David Suchet is the only one I can ever see playing Poirot. Are you going to watch Downton Abbey this weekend on PBS? It's similar to Upstairs, Downstairs.

Tilly Greene said...

The crime stuff is to die for - well, you know what I mean :-) There's a new series started called Zen and they're from the Michael Dibdin books. Need to see if they're easily had here in the States - better be because it was a good story.

Now, Downtown Abbey looked really good and when I heard it was going to start here, didn't watch any over there. However, and this is big, they've "downsized" [I say they've dumbed it down] it for the American market. Here's link to the article: http://bit.ly/fP4qGx I'll still watch it but this pissed me off. That said, they also restarted Upstairs, Downstairs and I caught the first one of that - was also good :-)

Jane said...

I've heard about Zen, too. I love Rufus Sewell and it sounds so good and I'm sure I'll enjoy the Italian scenery, too. Sherlock was so well received that they'll probably show Zen here.